I am running a survey tonight on We’re Related (a family-oriented Facebook application with 17 million monthly users) to find out if people know the love songs their parents loved.
Given our modern obsession with music, I find it interesting that only 7% of the respondents say they do. (See Survey Results)
Come to think of it, I don’t know my parents’ favorite love songs, but now I want to. I do know one song that my in-laws fell in love to 50 years ago while dancing because my wife used it as the sound-track for their 50th anniversary wedding video last year. It was really, really meaningful to have that song play along with all the pictures of them dating and then having a family.
Here are some of the answers I’ve gotten so far tonight:
- Waltz Across Texas, by Ernest Tubb. (YouTube video)
- Always Love You, by Whitney Houston (YouTube video)
- Summertime (YouTube–performed by Billie Holliday)
- All Around the Water Tank, by Jimmy Rogers (YouTube video — “it’s a very old song. My momma’s 84 years old.”)
- He’s a Rebel, by the Crystals (YouTube video)
Do you know the love songs that your parents loved?
If you could run a survey about music and families, what would it be?
642 total views, 2 views today